Give your smile a boost, feel better, and banish yellow teeth for good with these tips for a whiter brighter smile.
- Use a whitening non-alcoholic mouthwash before brushing. This helps to remove particles from your teeth. The lack of alcohol stops the the mouth from dying out, and doesn't kill friendly bacteria (which help to prevent bad breath)
- Unless advised by your dentist (e.g. to help treat tooth decay), avoid coloured mouthwash that contains Cetylpyridinum Chloride. When combined with a dye (e.g. the green colour in mint flavoured mouth wash) it may cause discolouration of your teeth.
- Use a whitening toothpaste, but avoid cheap varieties that are abrasive and wear down enamel. I recommend Janina or Pearl Drops. These superior whitening toothpastes' don't have abrasive particles.
- Use an electric toothbrush with a rotating oscillating action. These have been found to remove 11% more plaque than manual brushing, and are 6% more effective at reducing gingivitis. What's more, these benefits increase over time. In addition, an electric toothbrush is better at removing stains from your teeth
- Floss your teeth regularly. Particles caught between teeth aren't always removed by rinsing and brushing alone, and can lead to unsightly stains between teeth (that can be seen)
- Cut down or eliminate your intake of colas, coffee, tea and cigarettes. These stain teeth, so the less you consume the easier it will be to maintain white teeth
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after drinking colas, coffee or tea, smoking a cigarette, or eating/drinking lemons, lime, grapefruit and other citrus
- Have your teeth cleaned professionally by a dentist every 6 months. A professional clean is far more thorough than home cleaning, and will keep plaque and tartar at bay far more effectively than home cleaning (it's not just the equipment – a dentist knows what to look for and is able to see all your teeth)
- Eat more crunchy fruits and vegetables. These are natural tooth ex-foliates, and help to prevent the build up of stains
- Try an at-home tooth whitening kit from The Battersea Dentist
- Have a dentist apply a professional Zoom teeth whitening treatment. This uses a combination of methods to produce white teeth in less than 60 minutes!
After your Zoom teeth whitening procedure, follow the first 10 teeth whitening tips above and you'll maintain your newly acquired healthy white smile for as long as possible.